Success story Transmission utility
The transformer owner was notified by a service provider on the necessity of oil reclamation of 13 generator step-up transformers.
To a cost of 700 000 USD
- Owner consulted VPd for a second opinion
- DGA and Oil analyses provided clear answers
- One transformer was degassed for 3-4 months which made it possible to, during the Remaining life time assessment, establish that it was a faulty transformer.
Savings taking correct actions: 700 000 USD.
Success story Power generation
Success story Pulp and paper
Remaining life time assessment of 32 generator step-up transformers
- 5 transformer flagged red
- 2 transformer flagged ”yellow” (end of technical life time), replacement
- 1 Indication of incorrect behavior
- One of the red market GSUs failed 18 months later
- Rest of the ”red transformers failed in the following 5 years.
Transformer indicating incorrect behavior failed in 2014. VPdiagnose were not aware it was a shell-type transformer which would have rendered it RED for failure.
Customer was notified that they need to replace all 15+ power transformers within 5 years for ageing reasons.
- Cost 6 MUSD SEK over 5 years
- Consulted us for standard diagnostics analysis DGA and Oil sampling
- Analyses indicated of old transformers, but in good shape
- Life time extension activities were performed of a period of several years.
- All transformers are still in operation today
- Savings over 5 years 6 MSUD
Success story Aluminium smelter
Owner notified by service provider of need of oil reclamation on 14 transformers.
- Cost 800 000 USD
- Consulted VPdiagnoze for a second opinion based on the service company´s laboratories assessment.
- VPdiagnose assessment was that maybe ONE could be considered for oil reclamation….
- No reclamations were performed on any of the units.
Success story Water Conversion
Owner consulted VPdiagnose for diagnostics on 20 GSU and local transformers. 10- 230 kV transformers
- Wanted to have in-depth assessment on condition of desalination plant transformers.
- Remaining life time analysis
- All transformers in good health
- 5-15 years remaining life time
- Customer able to set up strategy and budget replacement and maintenance activities